awww I’m in your top ten? xD ahhh but I’ll try to make this interesting…
1. I dance hip hop (on the side) in case some some haven’t caught that yet. I’ve been dancing since I was young technically, for Vietnamese traditional festivals and what not back in the day hosted by my church. But, I started officially dancing hip hop and jazz in high school after I begged my mother to let me try it out after discovering BoA in all her badass glory.
2. I took piano lessons from when I was 11 until I graduated high school. I still play from time to time but I wish I was more naturally gifted at it.
3. When I was in elementary school, I started participating in choir and singing, and I guess that’s how I developed a liking for performance in general. But when I started junior high and joined show choir, I went through a really rough adolescent period, and that compounded with an intense dislike for my show choir teacher and how she ran things, I stopped singing and became really reserved. Didn’t find the courage or the interest to do it again until I started college, after I had to quit dance and piano and I felt like I had to compensate musically somehow.
4. To add to the music thing, I started writing lyrics when I was in high school, as another form of expression I suppose, and again it was to some of BoA’s songs because I felt really connected to them at the time, so I would find translations of her songs and tried to write English versions. I still do them to this day, though I’ve gotten a lot better at it lol, it’s good practice.
5. All that lyric writing led me to try my hand at rap lyrics when I got really into hip hop later on. Yes, I do like to rap and write raps for fun, lol.
6. Err, as you can see I am so not the “model minority” Asian that should excel in science or law or medicine. Far from it, much to my parents disappointment when I told them adamantly that I was going to study art. It was the biggest turning point of my life, affirming to myself and them that I knew my calling was in sharing stories somehow, whether it be through comics/graphic novels or writing/music.
7. Ummm, when I was 18 in my freshman year of college, I was mugged walking home from church in broad daylight. =/ Thankfully, it happened during spring break so I didn’t have to attend classes when the bruises on my face were at its darkest, but yeah…I wrote about it to get it off my chest, posted it up on my facebook or myspace, and through that a lot of my friends and family have told me I write really well like they could picture it clearly in their minds, so that ironically pushed me to pursue writing further.
8. I am noticing that once I’m forced to write about myself, I write A LOT. but it’s all about my interests so far wtf. ummm, I am the oldest of three, a younger bro and younger sis, and I tend to be the overbearing overprotective older sister at times. especially when it comes to my sister and the
douches dudes she dates.
9. good lord, I still have to write two more things. Uhhh, I want to go to grad school soon for more art education even though I don’t know how I’ll pay for it, but I think I’m ready to leave Utah again.
10. I have the worst luck with teeth. When I was about four or five, I had to go into surgery to remove extra permanent teeth that was growing above my front baby teeth, so I had like six teeth coming in? I don’t remember the exact number, but what I DO remember, is waking up in the middle of that surgery, I think because the doc didn’t administer enough anesthesia because I was so small at the time. I couldn’t really move or open my eyes but I was conscious and VERY aware of the cutting in my mouth that was going on, and the docs didn’t realize I was awake until I started crying. Since them I’ve been semi traumatized ish, more or less when it comes to extracting teeth. I had to go in to surgery again when I was 9, to get the rest of the extra teeth out and they made sure I was dead asleep, lol, (because obviously when I woke up during the first surgery, they had to stop the whole procedure, but my parents were still charged the full amount for all the teeth much to their chagrin). I got braces for the first time at 13 for about a year and a half, but I lost my retainers soon after. Got all four wisdom teeth pulled out at 16, which left me extremely bed ridden and sick for more than a week. Had to get braces again for the second time at 22, because apparently they weren’t really well done the first time, and the ortho I’m seeing now said at the consultation that my mouth is too small to hold all my teeth so if I don’t want braces a third time, I have to get four bicuspids extracted, which means, more teeth loss! I felt so bad for the dentist who did the extraction, (I had to be awake for this because if I wanted to be put to sleep, I had to go to an oral surgeon and it would cost more) because as soon as he did all the numbing, I started to FREAK out and couldn’t hold the tears back, so they put me under a gas mask to keep me calm during the whole thing, which did keep me calm, albeit, crying softly the whole time. Yeah.